Monday, March 31, 2014

One Laptop Per Child

I wrote this last technology class but never published it.

One Laptop per Child is is a non-profit organization which offers inexpensive laptops to children in developing countries. The computers are rugged, low-power, connected laptop, for an inexpensive price. Each laptop costs about $100. The goals is to empower children to get engaged in their own education to learn and share.

At first this seemed like an odd idea to me. In some places there is little to no water or food and children are getting laptops. This didn't seem right, and I would imagine it causes a lot of controversy. But as someone in my class said that if they learn how to gather water, or plant food from using their laptop it would prove to be a great resource.

The website allows you to donate so that more laptops can be supplied to children. What you you think? Would you rather donate so they have water o a laptop? I see both pros and cons to it, but am on the fence about how I feel about it.

Here is the website to check out- http://one.laptop.org/about/mission


No comments:

Post a Comment